Building on its previous initiatives of surfacing climate stories through film, the OML Center partners with Samsung for Mga Kwento ng Klima (MKK) Short Films 2023 powered by Samsung.
The competition is open to all professional and independent Filipino filmmakers. No submission fee to join.
At the end of the two month competition process, participating filmmakers must have completed five-minute short films (including opening and closing credits) narrating a Filipino experience of climate change shot entirely with a Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra.
To join the competition, interested filmmakers must submit a film pitch deck that will result in a film that has the following specifications:
- Live-action film in narrative format
- Film may be in any of the following genres: drama, comedy, musical, action, suspense, historical or science fiction. Documentary and animated films will not be accepted.
- Film narrative must have a strong climate lens. Narratives on the environment, biodiversity, and other similar topics with no climate lens will not be accepted.
Filmmakers can submit a maximum of two (2) film pitch decks using the template provided by the OML Center.
Pitch decks must be submitted by May 12, 2023 via email to [email protected] with the following format:
- Page size: A4
- Font style and size: Courier New 12
- Line spacing: 1.5
- Space before paragraph: None
- File format: PDF
- File name format: PitchDeck_Production Name_Title of the Film
Pitch decks will be screened by a panel composed of OML Center and Samsung representatives. Screening will be evaluated based on climate lens, story concept, director’s vision, and proposed creative approach.
Filmmakers that pass preliminary screening will be loaned a Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra phone.
The General Assembly and Climate Film Labs will take place after the announcement of official participating filmmakers.
All participating filmmakers must ensure that they have representatives that will be able to participate in the Climate Film Labs (CFL). The CFL will provide participating filmmakers with resource persons and mentors to help support their story development, strengthen the climate lens in their narratives, and utilize the Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra for film production.
The CFL schedule, module topics, and list of resource persons and mentors will be made available to official participating filmmakers.
Final film entries must be submitted by 11:59PM of June 23, 2023 through an online submission form. Submitted files must be accessible and downloadable.
Final film submissions must have the following additional specifications:
- Films using any regional languages or dialects must have English subtitles.
- Any music or song/s used in the entry must be original or must have already secured permissions from the original artist and/or copyright owner/s.
- Films must be submitted in digital copy using MOV, MP4 format, High Definition quality, minimum of 1920 by 1080 pixels (1080p), aspect Ratio: 16:9.
Film submissions must be accompanied by:
- a 15-second film teaser (in soft copy, MP4 format);
- a film poster in 16×20 inches size (in soft copy, JPEG format);
- at least ten behind-the-scenes (BTS) photos;
- a one-minute BTS video highlighting how the Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra was used during the film production; and
- completed and signed Letter of Consent, Talent Certificate, and Music Certificate.
Submissions must carry the MKK Shorts, OML Center, Samsung, and filmmaker’s logos.
Up to ten entries will be selected as finalists. All finalists will be awarded prizes during the awarding ceremony happening in July.
- Best Film – Php 50,000 + up to Php 130,000 worth of Samsung products, including the latest Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
- 2nd Placer – Php 30,000 + Php 30,000 worth of Samsung products
- 3rd Placer – Php 20,000 + Php 11,000 worth of Samsung products
- Special Jury Award – Php 20,000
The remaining finalists (up to seven) will receive Php 10,000 each.
The OML Center will support the film promotion, non-exclusive distribution, and showing of all finalists (up to ten) for up to 12 months after the conclusion of the competition.
Intellectual property rights shall be co-owned by the filmmakers and the OML Center.
OML Center and Samsung shall have royalty-free rights to use, disclose, and publicly display the entries for information, education, and communication (IEC) purposes, provided that such uses shall have no commercial gain to OML Center or Samsung.
Mga Kwento ng Klima Short Films 2022
Mga Kwento ng Klima Short Films 2023 – Powered by Samsung
Watch Mga Kwento ng Klima Short Films 2022 Trailers
Film Submission Form
Screening Request Form
Film drama ‘Dalaw’ is OML Center’s first MKK Best Film