ICRAF Regional Director Discusses Strengthening Partnership with OML CenterNovember 28, 2016
Climate Knowledge Portal for the Philippines has been LaunchedNovember 28, 2016
Pre-Conference Tutorial Workshop
An Introduction to Inoperability Input-Output Modeling (IIM) as a Tool for Disaster Risk Management
September 25, 2013 │ 1200 – 1700
Traders Hotel, Manila
Inoperability input-output modeling (IIM) was developed as a risk modeling technique for interdependent systems based on an extension of economic input-output analysis. IIM methodology focuses on quantifying socio-economic “ripple effects” of disruptive events that affect supply or demand in industrial or infrastructure networks. It has been used for the analysis of the full extent of damage caused by historical events, including the 9/11 attacks and Hurricane Katrina in the USA as well as the recent Fukushima earthquake in Japan; in addition, IIM proponents have assessed future disaster scenarios such as influenza pandemics, climate change-induced extreme weather events and energy shortages. This seminar/workshop is intended to train participants in fundamental IIM principles using a combination of lectures and hands-on computational exercises.
- Overview of risk analysis and risk management
- Leontief systems and input-output analysis
- Inoperability as a risk measure
- Demand-Loss IIM
- Supply-Loss IIM
- Sensitivity Analysis and Decision Making in IIM
- Case Studies and Simulation Exercises
Notes for participants:
- This seminar/workshop is offered free of charge, inclusive of lunch and afternoon snacks. Due to the interactive nature of the course, only 15 slots are available.
- Interested parties are requested to fill up the application form, which must then be sent via fax or e-mail to the seminar organizers (please see contact details below).
- Participants with graduate or undergraduate degrees in quantitative disciplines are preferred.
- Participants must bring laptops for the computational exercises and simulations.
August 30, 2013 – Deadline for expression of interest to participate and submission of application form
September 6, 2013 – Notification of acceptance of selected participants
Download workshop announcement and application form.