First Call for Participation:
Everyone is invited to participate in the upcoming Asia Pacific Conference on Human Ecology of Island Resiliency and Sustainability on November 27-29, 2014 at the Acacia Hotel, Filinvest, Alabang, Muntinlupa City, Metro Manila.
The conference aims to achieve the following:
• Bring together stakeholders and facilitate sharing of ideas;
• Describe the status of, initiatives, issues and challenges in island development for resiliency and sustainability.
• Determine the lessons, experiences and constraints encountered by stakeholders as well as their visions for island development.
• Identify specific activities and strategies that can be pursued to ensure island resiliency and sustainability.
• Formulate policy and research agenda, administrative enhancement options and capacity building recommendations.
• Establish networks and alliances for employing the human ecological approach in promoting island resiliency and sustainability.
Specifically, the activity aims to:
• Develop a Research and Policy Agenda for development;
• Identify Projects on capability building/training, quick response, disaster prevention, livelihood, biodiversity conservation; and to
• Establish Networks, alliances and volunteer teams for the islands in the country and Small Islands States in Asia-Pacific.
Paper presentations and/or discussants on the following topics are encouraged:
1. Island Environment and Natural Resources: Status, Trends and Problems on forest and biodiversity, land, water, coastal and marine resources, energy, solid wastes, risk and disaster management;
2. Island Population, Health and Food Security: education/literacy/ skills; health, employment, welfare, poverty, movement/migration (OFWs), culture and tradition, population, agriculture, nutrition;
3. Science, Technology, Livelihood and Business: livelihood/business technologies, tourism, science and technology needs, business and industry, infrastructure, communications and transportation;
4. Institutions, Governance and Capability: Business Sector views and experiences, Civil Society views and experiences, Government (vision, priorities, challenges, capabilities), Epistemic Community (Colleges and Universities’ research and extension agenda)
For more information, you may contact the conference secretariat at:
Conference Secretariat, HUMEIN-Phils
Tel. +6349 536 2682
Mobile: +63917 814 4889; +63923 563 6319
Email: [email protected]
Official Website: http://apcheirs.