The OML Center attended and presented at the Young Public Managers and Developers (PMD) Summit held in University of San Carlos on 13-14 March 2014 with the theme: #NetizensInAction in Addressing Climate Change. The Summit was attended by 70-80 participants from University of San Carlos Main and South Campus, University of Cebu and Cebu Institute of Technology.
OML Center Researcher, Rafaela Jane Delfino, presented on the topic: “What we talk about when we talk about #climatechange”. The first day of the workshop was devoted to presentations and the second day (morning) was for the workshop on how young Cebuano public managers and developers can take the lead in coming up with action agenda for climate change. It looked into the important role of social media in the popularization of environmental policies and programs as well as in the operationalization of netizenship for climate change adaptation.
The presentations on the first day include (1) Philippine Youth Situationer by Mr. Leon G. Flores III, Commissioner, National Youth Commission; (2) Globe Telecommunications initiatives on DRR and CCA by Mr. Jose Paulo Justiniano, Globe Cebu Sales Manager; and (3) Cebu City’s Policies on Climate Change by Cebu City Councilor Nestor D. Archival.
The OML Center challenged the youth on becoming responsible netizens through the following action points:
• Google(scholar) it! Learn the basics. Make yourself informed.
• Find your ‘Pinterest’! Find ideas and discover interests on climate change-related topics.
• Create ‘Twitterable or Facebook-worthy Moments’! Transform knowledge in creative formats.
• #Hash it out! Spread the message.
• Tumblr-ize! Share your thoughts and make them viral!
• Act ‘real-time’! Be vigilant at all times. Share information before, during and after a weather disturbance/disaster event.
The Young PMD Summit is an annual event organized by the University of San Carlos’ Department of Political Science, Committee on Environment. This year’s theme was #Netizens in Action for Climate Change.